In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Friday, October 23, 2009

New perspective

Sometimes it helps to go away from a place so you can see it more clearly. I had been wanting to search the local archives in the Town of Shelburne for information about McNutt's Island. I was looking for material I couldn't get online.
And it worked out that I could spend a few days there this week. I visited the resource centre at the Shelburne County Museum, on Dock Street. I picked up some leads and hope to return next week for more poking around.
While I was at the resource centre I met people who were at work on very interesting things. Susan Gilson and Philip Neville were in town filming interviews for a Council of Nova Scotia Archives project called Routes to Your Roots. They chatted with Jeannie Peterson, a volunteer, and with Finn Bower, who is the museum's Curator. (Left to right: Finn, Jeannie, Philip, Susan.)
I saw a bunch of pigeons on top of the cooperage on Dock Street. I spent a terrific day at the Shelburne County Archives and Genealogical Society, too. I'll write more about that visit next week.

No comments: