In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Timeless winter

Here are some pictures I took a year ago, in late January 2009. I was walking along the main road when I took this picture. The spruce topple over pretty easily when they are weighed down with heavy snow. I think the McNutt's Island road crew will have plenty to do when we get home.
This is one of the old signs along the main road to the lighthouse.
The island is all shades of grey and white this time of year, and the sharply defined darkness of bare branches, like pen and ink. Only the house stands out, a reminder of blue sky and sunlight.

No comments: