In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Monday, August 30, 2010

monarch in lace

Maybe this monarch is preparing for an upcoming flight to central Mexico. Even though it has never been to central Mexico, it knows how to get there. I try to imagine what that journey is like from a butterfly's point of view. But I can't grasp it. It's beyond me in so many ways.

2 comments:

Sara said...

We had so many monarchs where we lived in Ontario, our property was an officially designated "Monarch Waystation". I haven't seen a Monarch since we moved to Nova Scotia, so I thought they didn't come here. It's so nice to see one!

Mary Gordon Spence said...

Ann, your blog brings me such joy. No matter how hot or how asphalty things are in Austin, they seem to cool off and green up the minute I read about the many living things on McNutt's Island. Still grateful for my visit with you and Greg in July.

xo