In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Friday, October 29, 2010

first day of the season

It's a tranquil scene today. The fierce winds have vanished and the island is surrounded by a serene and peaceful sea.
But from within the forest echo the ominous sounds of gun shots.
Today is the first day of deer hunting season.
Danger lurks deep in these dark woods.
The hens confer. Well, three of the hens confer. The topic of today's conference: do hunters shoot chickens?
Their brave commander flies to her battlement, from whence she will keep watch. Though she might do better to look in the direction of the forest. Behind her.

6 comments:

bonnie said...

Do you think perhaps the hens should get orange vests? I didn't think there would be hunting on the island, because it seems so peaceful and apart from man's harshness.

Anne Yarbrough said...

Bonnie, This island has the nicest hunters in the world. Really & truly.

Sara said...

I was out walking with our dogs in our field early this morning when 3 gunshots rang out. The first thought that flashed through my mind is that maybe my dogs and I should be wearing something other than black coats.

Janet said...

By all means - we should wear hunters' orange when out during hunting season.
In particular, if hunting did not take place in areas like McNutt's, deer would quickly out-breed the limited resources available to them and would die anyway without being of benefit to anyone, and slowly rather than very suddenly.
Only a very small proportion of hunters are careless and reckless - it is them we need to condemn, not the whole group.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

This is the thing I hate about this time of year. The other night shots rang out from behind our back field...and we have not given permission to hunters to use our land. Now I have to worry about dog walking, kids playing in the field... *sigh* and I feel bad for the deer.

Roberta said...

I don't know why I never noticed that you accepted comments. I stop by from time to time. This is one of the most beautiful blogs I have ever seen and read. The photos are wonderful and your commentary also.