In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Monday, November 16, 2009

A walk to the northern end of the island



The other day I took a walk along the main road to the northern end of the island. It's an easy walk, about five kilometers round trip from our house. The island was so silent that I could hear the flutter of wings in the trees along the road.
Several chickadees were flitting and darting amongst the trees.
It seemed that some of them were watching me as I stood on the road watching them.
I came upon some of the elusive northern sheep. They were so silent that I only happened to glance over and see them in the woods, looking at me. They quickly disappeared.
A curious deer came out into the road to stare.
A red squirrel was not at all shy about making eye contact, and chattered at me behind my back after I walked on.
And across the marsh at the Horseshoe I watched Chopper returning from a trip to the mainland.

No comments: