In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Encounter with The Major

The Major was alone in the lower apple orchard yesterday. I thought he might not mind if I were to take a few pictures of him. As long as I was discreet.
At this time of year the apple trees show no sign of the glory to come, except for the slightest swelling of buds.
Sometimes we see The Major alone, as he is here, ruminating and contemplating.
He didn't seem to be disturbed by my presence. Though he certainly was aware of it from the moment I began to walk down the bog path toward the lower orchard.
I am often struck by The Major's gentle dignity. Though when I think about it, it seems to me that most of the other sheep share these same traits. They are peaceful animals.You can see the Point in the background here, which is the shingle beach that defines the southern arm of Hagar's Cove. And in the distance beyond the Point you can see Grey's Island, that small and magical place, a kingdom of mice.

No comments: