In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Friday, April 30, 2010

A floating dock for my rowboat

Of all the projects that have been thought up around here during the past three years, this one is up there for amount of figuring required. First came the idea of a haul-up that I would use to slide my rowboat in and out of the water. It sounded good, but actually didn't work out so well.

Then came various ideas involving pulleys and winches and skids and boathouses. The ideas got more and more complicated, like something out of Dr. Seuss. None of them ever got past the thinking stage, though. They just swam around in Greg's mind until they gradually, slowly, sank.

But now: a floating dock. Some fine summer day, I will stroll down the hill and onto the wharf, step lightly down a ladder to a floating dock, untie Roseneath bobbing there, and glide away. The main idea is that Roseneath will not suffer so much in the way of crashing and dashing against rocks or wharf if she is tied to something that gives, and has lots of rubber fenders attached to it. And of course that I will continue my princess-like existence.But how to make a floating dock? Well, you could start with something you found that looks sort of like a dock so could maybe turn into one, with some tinkering.
Add as much styrofoam as you can scavenge from along the shore. It's still good for something! You are going to stuff it underneath the decking, then enclose it with more wood.
Don't forget to re-use those huge spikes that you've been saving for a special project. The whole thing may turn out to be too heavy. It could sink, like the famous Louis Clodette.* But we won't know that until it's in the water.

* If you want to know about the Louis Clodette you'll just have to read Greg's book.

5 comments:

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

As an avid kayaker that frequently tumbles and stumbles in and out of her boat, I am looking forward to the success of your floating dock! Let us know how it turns out!

Janet said...

What a wonderful way to corral/sequester some of that nasty stuff that litters beaches everywhere! What about stapling/attaching nylon fishing net to the bottom rather than adding to the weight by using wood to hold it all in?

MargaretJ said...

I've just finished reading Greg's book. I had bought it in St. John to have something to read on the ferry, and now, back in Boston, I've finished it. What a wonderful read! I'm trying to decide whether to retire in NS, as I have a home in Meteghan NS (with all the amenities), but it's a hard decision. Your book renewed my spirit of going back to my roots for a simpler way of life. Thank you for blogging.

Anonymous said...

humm.... wonder just where that old deck happened to be found????

Anne Yarbrough said...

Dear Anonymous,
If you know the answer to this question (and it sounds as if you do), I can only throw myself upon your mercy and beg for your silence.
cheers,
Anne