In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

in the greenhouse

Last summer Greg built a greenhouse. Then it sat there, waiting for the time to be right. I whitewashed the glass with a mixture of water and hydrated lime, which we have already because hydrated lime is also something you need in the outhouse. (Well, yes, we do still have an outhouse.) Hydrated lime is now on my list of very useful things I never knew anything about until we came to the island. Also whitewashing.
This spring Greg made a bunch of trays out of leftover wood. The bottoms are made out of leftover sheet metal, so they sort of retain moisture. I began by putting the trays on the lower shelves, then after the seeds sprouted I moved them to the upper shelves.
Here's what I hope: the greenhouse will give these babies a head start in their upcoming wrestling match with hungry insects. The bugs will be so daunted when they finally come face to face with all this enormous size and powerful greenness that they will just throw up their hands and slink away in abject surrender. Victory for chard! Anyway, that's what I hope.

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I had a greenhouse once - I loved it - even grew tomatoes in it one winter - and it wasn't even heated. Enjoy your vegetables.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Love that little greenhouse...and I don't know a thing about hydrated lime, I have to admit.