In May 2011, after four years of life on McNutt's Island, we moved to Montreal. This blog remains, though, as a (sort of) daily record of our time on the island, and a winding path for anyone who would like to meander about among its magical places. For additional perspectives and insights I recommend Greg's book, Island Year: Finding Nova Scotia (2010), and my Bowl of Light (2012). I'll continue to post once in a while. If you do want to read this blog, one option would be to begin at the beginning of it (which is, as we all know, in blog-world, at the end), and read forward, concluding with the most recent entry. It's a journal, really, so it does makes more sense if you read it that way. But, you know, read it any way you like.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

our nearest neighbour

This maritime garter snake lives under our house. She sleeps there all winter, but this time of year she likes to bask in the sun near the picket fence that runs along the side of the house. If anything alarms her she flows gracefully inside the fence and waits until she feels safe again.
I'm glad she has not moved away, even though no doubt we try her patience at times. I'm forever nearly stepping on her. But I always apologize. Maybe she knows we are trying to be peaceable, in our big clumsy way.

All of our nearest neighbours are shy, but she is perhaps the shyest.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo of a lovely creature. Maritime garter snakes have three phases: unstriped, black and striped. I've only ever seen them in their unstriped phase.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

I did not know about the three phases, interesting! I would have a snake as a pet if not for their need to consume other live things..they are beautiful in their own way.